Le berger is a very lovely hotel in the center of Brussel with a historical art deco. It is 300m from the metro station so it is very easy accessible with public transport.
There is an Italian restuarant and bar.
For this shoot we wanted to go back in time to see how the people from this era lived and the economic situation.
THE 1930 ECONOMY CRASH FANTASY BOOM
The depression of the 30s did not affect everyone the same way. Many rich people felt no impact at all, and were blind for the suffering of others.
The 30s were the beginning of the ready to wear fashion age. During the 1930s great depression companies started researching and implementing cheaper means of clothing manufacturing.
Clothing style were less extravagant, but the shapes of these dresses were designed to show off a woman most feminine features- most of the dresses were either slightly gathered or pleated.
The ideal 30s woman was tall and slender with a very small waist and narrow hips. Since most women were not blessed with slim hips and a small waist, shoulders were exaggerated with puff sleeves.
Ready to wear became popular because clothing could be mass produced .During this era the zipper became a standard in the finishing of garments because they cost less than buttons.
A woman would not wear her house dress out of the house, to shop, run errands. she would need a smart afternoon or day dress.
Characteristic of fashion in the 30s
- shoulder pads were frequently used to broaden and square the shoulder of dresses
- For women in business a well tailored suit was a must
- Silky dresses became more popular
- Empire waisted lines which were tied in the back were popular
- Women usually wore gloves outside the house. The gloves would be worn to match their shoes and handbags
- Makeup such as rouge and lipstick was frequently used to brighten pale faces
- Women tended to keep their hair fairly short
- Artificial eyelashes were popular
- Wool, silk and cotton were the most popular fabrics for women’s’ fashion
Being on a tight budget was no excuse for sloppy fashion. It was considered a woman’s duty to shop smart.
Women who could feed and dress her family on a dime were praised. They were considered a good steward of the husbands money.
Thanks for stopping by
Location: Hotel Leberger Brussel
For similar outfit check http://www.okycoky.com
Wardrobe: Rita Roland.